Moving to America

For sheer excitement and abundance of opportunity it’s easy to see why many people embrace the opportunity to move to America. Whether you are relocating to any of the legendary coastal cities or any of the 3.8 million square miles in between Clark & Rose can move you there.

With a huge range of experience gained over many years of shipping clients’ belongings we have a depth of knowledge and network of US agents that will help ensure things go smoothly.

Clark & Rose can offer a full range of shipping services to USA to help make your move as easy as possible. We’d be delighted to speak to you about your move so contact us now for a free estimate either by calling on 0330 551 1906, if you prefer to speak to someone directly, or by clicking on the get in touch or get a quote links.

How long will it take:

Sea / FCL or LCL – most destinations:

  • 6 to 9 weeks

Loose shared groupage container:

  • 10 to 16 weeks

Air – most destinations: 

  • 7 to 14 days

Please note that any transit times are purely indicative. Actual door to door transit times may be shorter or longer if subject to factors beyond our control.

What can I take with me?

If you are moving to America, or a returning resident in most cases you will be entitled to duty free entry on used personal effects.

Homeland Security has tightened the regulations on importing personal effects into the United States, and these regulations are under constant review. If you are a non-US passport holder you must ensure that you have a suitable visa in place before the shipment can be sent you must also be in the country when you consignment arrives. All U.S. Customs paperwork will be supplied by Clark and Rose for your completion.

Although security has increase significantly in the majority of people and shipments of household goods moving to the United States are not materially affected.

As with any destination careful planning is required and certain items may be problematic to ship or carry restrictions – if you have any questions at all on this or are looking for advice we’d be very happy to help.

Importing a car

Importing a motor vehicle including motor cycles into the United States is only really recommended if it meets US emission and safety standards or was previously exported from the US.

Vehicles of 25 years or more are exempt from both the environmental and transportation standards agencies. However proof of age, proof of ownership, and copy of foreign registration are required.

Shipping methods

Find out more about shipping methods in our guide which covers sea and air options

Destination country information

Contact us now for a free overseas removal estimate either by calling on 0330 551 1906, if you prefer to speak to someone directly, or by clicking on the get in touch or get a quote links.

Aberdeen (head office)

  • Barclayhill Place
  • Portlethen
  • Aberdeen, UK
  • AB12 4LH

01224 782800


  • 1 Bandeath Industrial Estate
  • Throsk
  • Stirling
  • FK7 7NP

01786 484747


  • Unit 20, Vision Business Park
  • Preston Place
  • Biggleswade
  • SG18 9GQ

01767 604364

Opening times 9am-5pm Monday to Friday. Saturday by appointment.

background Layer 1