Moving to or from Germany

Germany overview

The following information outlines the documentation required for importing household goods moves to Germany, to the best of current knowledge and belief. This is a summary of the documents required for household goods moves from the UK to Germany on a transfer of residence basis. It does not cover cars, secondary homes, inheritances, or any other exceptional circumstances and for any moves falling into these categories, it is essential that you advise us of your circumstances so that we can check requirements with a local agent in the destination country. An additional useful source of information can be found at the UK Government’s site – – living in Germany.

Customs protocols for moves from the UK to EU countries

For a move from the UK (UK refers to England, Scotland and Wales) to any EU country, you will need to provide information and documents to the Customs authority in the destination country to enable your household goods to be cleared through Customs.

Most EU customs regimes have several factors in common:

  • People moving to an EU country on a transfer of residence basis (i.e. moving their main place of residence from the UK to that EU country for work or personal reasons) are generally permitted to import their household and personal belongings free of duty and tax.
  • There is usually a requirement to prove that the person moving has previously resided in the UK for a specified qualifying period, by means of presenting documents such as Council Tax bills, bank statements, utility bills etc.
  • There is usually a requirement to prove that permission for residency or employment in the destination country has been granted.
  • There is usually a requirement to prove identity by providing a passport copy.
  • New items (usually less than 6 months old) may be subject to tax.
  • Certain item are usually prohibited e.g. guns, animal skins or products, etc.
  • Certain items are usually restricted e.g. alcohol, tobacco etc.

You will need to be able to supply any required information or documentation before the move is packed, to allow the moving company to have it checked by their agent in the destination country for confirmation that everything is in order. This is essential to ensure that there are no delays at the destination border due to missing or incorrect documentation. For a move to an EU country being made for any reason other than a transfer of residence, then you should ask your moving company to check the specific Customs requirements for your circumstances and this should be done as early in the process as tpossible. If, for example, your circumstances were such that carrying-out the move would incur a significant duty or tax liability then that may influence your decision to move altogether. It is essential therefore, that such issues are raised as early as possible. If you are furnishing a holiday or secondary home in an EU country (that is a home other than your main place of residence), then usually you will have to pay duty or tax on the items that you are moving.

Customs regulations and document requirements for Germany:

  • Customs form 0350
  • “Abmeldebescheinigung” (change of residence notice showing how long the shipper has lived outside the EU or a letter from an employer or German Embassy confirming 12-months residency outside the EU). If providing a letter from an employer please also include the start and finish dates – if applicable – for employment.
  • “Anmeldbestaetigung” (Confirmation of registration at the shipper’s new residence in Germany issued by the local town hall).
  • Copy of the photo page of passport.
  • Packing inventory.
  • Zollerklärung– letter signed by the shipper to say that the shipment does not include any prohibited items.
  • Rental contract for your residence (if possible / applicable).
  • Contract of employment (if possible / applicable).
  • Statement of transfer from employer stating you are an employee for the company abroad, detailing how long you have lived in the UK and that you will remain an employee of the company in Germany on moving.

Documents required for export clearance out of Germany (for UK bound moves):

  • “Ausfuhranmeldung” (export declaration) is to be made before the move starts at the “Zollamt” (customs office) responsible for the customer’s place of residence or online within one week of loading the shipment.
  • Copy of photo page of passport.
  • Completion of UK transfer of residence application and generation of a URN number provided to us by you. Please see or moving to the UK page for more information on how to obtain a URN.

"They remained throughout 3 days of very hard work courteous, cheerful & very helpful.  Simply nothing was too much trouble."

Clare Hubbard

Aberdeen (head office)

  • Barclayhill Place
  • Portlethen
  • Aberdeen, UK
  • AB12 4LH

01224 782800


  • 1 Bandeath Industrial Estate
  • Throsk
  • Stirling
  • FK7 7NP

01786 484747


  • Unit 20, Vision Business Park
  • Preston Place
  • Biggleswade
  • SG18 9GQ

01767 604364

Opening times 9am-5pm Monday to Friday. Saturday by appointment.

background Layer 1